Culture is the shared values, traditions, norms, customs, art, history, folklore and institutions of a specific group of people. Cultural competency is “the willingness and ability to interact respectfully and effectively with individuals and groups, acknowledging the common and different elements of our cultural identities.” The result is words and actions that recognize, affirm and value the worth of individuals and communities and protect and preserve the dignity of each.
Module 1: Cultural Competency Skills
Module 2: Generating Awareness About the World Around Us
Module 3: Effective Communication Skills
Module 4: Respectful Behaviiors
Review: Case Study
1. Understand culture and cultural competency.
2. Identify the four elements to increase cultural competence.
3. Understand the dimensions of cultural awareness and how values differ among cultures.
4. Recognize the basic principles of effective communication and special considerations for effective cross-cultural communication.
5. Recognize behaviors that support cultural competency.
# Quiz Questions
9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.